Night Nappies for Heavy Wetters | 5 Secrets for Success
A fitted nappy with wool cover over the top is the best solution for heavy wetters overnight. This combination of all absorbent nappy and lanolised wool cover is the most effective way to keep your heavy wetting baby dry all night.
Five secrets for successful cloth night nappies for heavy wetters:
- Pick your absorbent material – hemp and bamboo are the thirstiest nappy fabrics. Bamboo is the fabric of choice for heavy overnight wetting, the heavier the fabric the better. Most stores or makers should let you know the weight of their nappy fabric in ‘grams per square metre’ (gsm). This is the metric unit of measurement for the weight of any fabric. Cheap bamboo fabric will be 280-320gsm, this will generally not be enough for a heavy wetter overnight. Look for bamboo fabric labelled heavy weight (450gsm) or super heavy weight (500gsm) to get the most bang for your bamboo buck.
- Once you have decided which material you would prefer (I really, really recommend bamboo if you are getting leaks at the moment), look for a dedicated night nappy. Your favourite cloth nappy brand may have a night nappy design, check if that nappy meets your needs. Or check out our night nappy solutions here (as nights is our speciality).
- When you receive your new night nappy to trial, allow up to 5 or 6 washes for it to reach full absorbency. The fabrics used in night nappies are like bath towels – you know how they almost repel the water when you first use them, but after a few washes they are much better at drying? Same idea with natural nappy fabrics. So prewash before using it for the first time – at least once or twice!
- First night, bulk it up with some extra absorbent boosters from your stash. This will not only keep baby drier while the fabrics are building absorbency, but allow you to trial how many layers you need to get through the night. It’s easier to start with overkill and cut it down as you need. You can bulk up the layers by putting a prefold or similar between the nappy and cover to save compromising the fit on baby.
- Wool covers – I know they might sound like an awful lot of work but once you take the leap and give them a try I’m sure you will be pleasantly surprised by how easy they are. And so effective for heavy wetters. If you are having trouble with leaks, a wool cover is almost always the best solution (many are put off by the thought that wool is too scratchy, but covers like our Disana wool covers or longies are the furthest thing from scratchy you can get).
PS. You can find even more information about overnight nappies directly from my own experiences in my free downloadable PDF: ‘Five Things I Wish I Knew About Cloth Night Nappies’ by signing up to the
RAWr VIP email list below:
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!