CARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR RAWr NAPPIES AND ACCESSORIES
We recommend washing your RAWr Nappies at least once before their first use, as you normally would when buying new clothing. The bamboo in RAWr Nappies can take up to 6-8 washes before reaching full absorbency, although they will work their super soaking magic very well even after their prewash!
Rinse dirty nappy thoroughly then wash in warm-hot water (not above 60°C) with a gentle MCN-friendly* detergent according to detergent manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not have a detergent specifically recommended for MCN use a detergent free from harsh additives like de-pilling agents, stripping agents, bleach, softeners and whiteners/brighteners.
No fabric softeners or vinegar.
Do not iron.
Do not dry clean.
1. If soiled remove into toilet using squirt hose or toilet paper.
2. Give nappy a thorough rinse and place into a dry pail/wetbag for up to two days, until ready to wash in machine.
3. Wash in clean washing machine up to 60°C on long cycle using MCN-friendly* detergent as per manufacturer’s instructions (if using a front loader set spin speed to 800rpm or less to reduce wear and tear on elastics).
4. Line dry, hang from middle of nappy to avoid overstretching leg elastic or lay flat in the sun (restrict to up to half a day in full hot sun to avoid damage). UV light has amazing ability to whiten so giving your nappies a sun-bake removes the need for any chemical bleaching.
- Wash or soak in water temps over 60°C
- Use spin speed over 800rpm
- Use bleaching agents/whiteners or brighteners
- Use harsh detergents containing enzymes (specifically cellulase)
- Dry nappy shells in a hot dryer
Not only will these things will degrade the nappies’ fabrics and elastic but doing so voids our manufacturer’s warranty. Use only gentle MCN-friendly* detergents with RAWr Nappies, most especially our certified organic blend fabrics as these fibres are untreated and stripping/depilling agents in many detergents will quickly strip the fibres out of existence.
RAWr Nappies supports the recommendations of The Australian Nappy Association (ANA), as found in this document: ANA Simple Washing Instructions
For more information on washing modern cloth nappies please visit this blog post.
*Recommended detergents readily available in Australia (this list is not exhaustive, if you choose to use something not listed just check the ingredients do not contain bleaching agents, whiteners or cellulase (often listed as just ‘enzymes’ on detergent packaging):
- Trinature Pre Wash Soaker (for soaking, also can mix with Trinature Alpha Plus Washing Detergent for main wash)
- Bosistos Liquid
- Biozet Liquid
- Earth Choice Powder
- Eco Store Powder
- Euca Laundry Powder and Euca Laundry Soaker with in-wash booster
- Norwex Ultra Power Plus
- Planet Ark Aware
- Rockin Green (Classic or Hard Rock)